Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Arches, Amasa Back, and a Mouse

We had a great trip to Moab this weekend. We went down there with my dad, Tara and Ben, and Jason and Lindsay. We were able to get some hiking and biking in. It was my dad's first trip down so it was fun to show him around. The weather was great. It was cool in the mornings.evenings but was perfect hiking weather during the day. On Friday night we got in around 5:30 and headed right to Arches. We went over to the Windows to just do a small walk with the kids and give my dad an introduction to Moab. It was sunset and so pretty.
After the Windows, we went to town and had dinner and then headed to our place to get situated. We ended up staying at a house that was part of a hostel. We obviously knew our accommodations wouldn't be top notch but they prided themselves on being "clean and affordable". Here's a couple of pictures of the house we stayed in.
The house was 3 bedrooms and 3 baths so it was nice to have the extra space. You can tell from the pictures that it was VERY outdated, but it did seem clean. That is until we found a mouse in our food. I HATE mice. I don't do mice. However, I do understand that a house that is often empty is more likely to have issues. We managed the weekend but I had a hard time going into the kitchen after that. Saturday morning we went on a hike to Corona Arch.
Colin had a lot of fun listening to his echo After our hike we took the kids back for lunch and put them down for naps. We then headed out for our ride on Amasa Back. It was a lot of fun. The entry into the trail is impossible and I initially thought Tara was crazy for taking us there. Once we got in, it was really fun though. It was a really pretty ride too.
Saturday night we had fun out to dinner and walking Main Street. Colin and Eliana had a lot of fun playing together. On Sunday morning we went and hiked Delicate Arch. The kids did really well on the other hikes but were getting tired by Sunday. They had a rough time on this hike. They were kind of grumpy, but we all still had fun.
Paul and Colin under the arch
Everything up at the arch is pretty steep. I was a nervous wreck the whole time. I was so afraid one of the kids(or my dad) was going to fall. I couldn't watch when any of them walked over to the arch. I held on tight to the kids the whole time and asked my dad to stand somewhere "safer" a few times. I don't know what my problem was or why it was so bad this time. This was the one place I felt okay with the kids. When they were down in the crack between two rocks....I felt safe they wouldn't fall.
We had a little picnic before starting our drive back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment