Saturday, September 21, 2013

Colin turns 5....."a whole hand"



Happy 5th Birthday Colin!!!

I can't believe my little baby boy is 5 already!  When we were thinking about Colin's birthday Paul really wanted to do a bigger party with kids this year.  I wasn't really excited about the idea. I knew it would be a lot of work at an already busy time for us.  We decided not to do it.  Then, Colin decided he wanted a pirate party. Not just any pirate but "Jake and the Neverland Pirates".  As I started to look at ideas of how to do the party to make it special for Colin, I started to get excited about the possibility of having a bunch of kids over to help celebrate.  We decided we'd just go for it, Colin would love it!  

I spent too much time on Pinterest and got some good ideas.  I decided we'd have a treasure hunt and at the end would be a treasure chest full of the goody bags.  I planned to paint a box brown and call it a treasure chest.  Colin had a different idea.  He said we needed to pull up a picture of Jake's treasure chest and make it like his.  He planned out every detail of this box.  Paul ended up being recruited to help due to my lack of artistic skills.  That's when this party became a whole family undertaking....when we realized Colin's attention to detail!!!

Colin celebrated his birthday at school with his teacher and classmates.  He had so much fun. They made  him this hat and card.  


His birthday was on Tuesday but the party wasn't until Wednesday. On his actual birthday we took him out to dinner. He wanted to go to "the restaurant with the chopsticks"...so we went out for sushi!


Audrey copying Colin with the picture

Another video of the kids using chopsticks....why do I always think this is so cute?!

We opened up presents from our out of town family on his actual birthday




Wednesday was the party. It was a lot of work to prepare for.  I was up late Mon, Tues, and left work early on Wed to get ready.  

This is the sandbox where the kids dug for burried treasure.

Walking the plank. It was kind of a cold evening and I was afraid someone was going to fall in the freezing water but no one did.  

We had a dress up station to become pirates!

Pirate names!

We loved the photo booth at Audrey's party so I did it again

Decorations

Food table, we grilled meat to go along with the veggies, fruit and salad.

Jake Cake.  This is another item that Colin was very detailed with what he wanted

I decided I wanted to make a boat sail to put up on the table outside.  Paul asked his dad if he wanted to help with the project.  He did an awesome job. I now know where Colin gets his attention to detail!

Sail in progress

The finished sail.  Looks like it came right from Bucky's ship!

The party in progress.....digging for the treasures

Grandpa grilling!

Happy Birthday to Colin!

I think he's loving his cake

Opening presents


The treasure hunt! This was a huge hit. The kids loved it.  

Looking for clues

Running to the next clue. It's blurry but I like how it shows their excitement.


This video shows how exciting the hunt was for them. I'm so glad I got it on video.  
Finding the treasure chest.

Treasure!!  

Photo booth!





Thanks for a great party!

No comments:

Post a Comment