Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Learning about saving money

We're planning a trip to Disneyland and trying to use it as an opportunity to teach the kids about saving money.  We've made a jar that is our savings for the trip.  We put change in it or if the kids ask for candy at the grocery store we will tell them we can take that dollar and save it for Disney.  They've really picked it up and seem to be understanding it and actually wanting to save.  

The other day I was at Target buying stuff for our Tahoe trip.  I found this little foldable brush/mirror that I've  actually been wanting.  It was a dollar.  We decided to get Audrey one too.  I gave it to her and she loved it.  When Paul got home from work she was soooo excited to show it to him.   Then Colin said "but mom spent money and didn't save it for Disney". Audrey comes running over to me "momma.... you wasted money.  You are supposed to save it and you WASTED it, you WASTED it. " I told her I can return her brush and put the money in the jar for Disney.  She started crying "but I LOVE it and I want it. "

It was so cute.  I'm impressed that they are really getting the concept of saving money now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment