Sunday, September 19, 2010

Colin's birthday cake

I wanted to do something special for Colin's birthday cake. Last year I made the giant cupcake and it turned out really well. This year we decided to go with an Elmo theme because he was still pretty much on an Elmo kick. So I wanted to do some sort of Elmo cake. I found ideas online of how to do a cake and cupcakes. My mom and I couldn't decide which to make so we did both. We got an Elmo cake pan and made the hot water chocolate cake recipe. The cake didn't come out of the pan the greatest so we had a little work to do to make sure it looked like Elmo.

Here is the cake in the process


It took a lot of food coloring to make the colors. We used 2 whole things of black and of red.

The girls decorating Elmo


My mom, Audrey and I


Elmo and cupcakes


The cupcakes were fun. We used a bag to squirt on all the red so that he looked "furry". The eyes were white chocolate candy melts. The eyeballs were the ends of a chocolate chip. The nose is a cut up halloween pumpkin candy and the mouth is half an oreo.


The table all ready



Colin eating his cupcake



Colin really liked it all. In the last week or so he has really seemed to not care as much about Elmo but he loved all the Elmo of his party. I think it was a hit. Hopefully whatever he likes next year will be an easy enough cake

No comments:

Post a Comment